Thursday 17 July 2014

Must reads in the PhD journey


I'm going to keep adding to this list of must reads for anyone doing an HDR.

First on my list is 

1.The PhD Manual: 132 Tips For Surviving And Thriving Whilst Writing Your Thesis [Kindle Edition]

By Mitch Albright

This is an easy to read, point by point ebook. Inexpensive and it had good coverage of the ,any dimensions that encompass the PhD journey. Oh did I mention he also recommends my favorite blogger, researcher, tweeter aka the Thesis Whisperer: Dr Inger Mewburn?

2. Digital Tools for Qualitative Research
By Paulus, Lester and Dempster, 2014


A new book published this year, I borrowed this one from my Supervisor. However, I think I may need to purchase this one. I found it a very useful handbook and covers using digital tools for literature reviews, Nvivo, Livescribe pen and analysis of data just for starters. It is well set out, making an excellent handbook to keep close by.

3. A series of books by Hugh Kearns and Maria Gardiner
I) The seven secrets of highly successful research students II) The PhD Experience III)Turbocharge your writing IV) Defeating self-sabotage and V)Time for Research

4. Succeeding with your Literature Review: A handbook for students by Paul Oliver

Available as an ebook, it has excellent suggestions on how to approach  doing your literature review including how to sort the literature. Definitely a book to take notes or in my case highlight in my Kindle important tips.

5. Qualitative Data Analysis: A methods sourcebook
This book by Miles, Huberman and Saldana is one that I cited in my Master's thesis and it's exciting to have my very own copy on my bookshelf. It covers qualitative data analysis mainly but it does describe the difference in strategies of data analysis between qualitative and quantitative. I believe this is a book that is needed before data collection is started not just when data analysis is being completed.

6. Ethnography: step by step third edition by David M. Fetterman
An easy and informative read for ethnographers and those thinking about doing ethnography. This book provides a greater understanding of what ethnography really is. It's not just about immersing yourself into a culture to observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment