Friday 8 April 2016

Neural overload. Time for an extended study break.

Life is a journey and many people have philosophised that it is like a roller coaster - full of ups and downs. When there are more downs than ups then it probably a good time to regroup and take a break. When I started to question the importance of my own research and the methodology that I have been exploring for months, and any headspace was taken up by the rollercoaster downs, I knew it was the right decision for me to take leave from my research. As PhD students, we are on a clock and I want to ensure that every minute is is my best effort. 
Taking leave for me had the following benefits;
*Time to free headspace to feel motivated again to flood my brain with more information on my topic.  
*quality time with my sons
*to be kind to myself
*find purpose in my research
*explore alternative theories and methodologies
*finish the long term 'to do list' so that it was a clean slate to fill again

If you're thinking of taking leave (outside of holiday leave), have a chat with your supervisor. It's better to stop the clock than stress even more that you've run out of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment