Thursday 4 September 2014

The elusive scholarship

I attended a seminar on how to obtain a HDR scholarship at my University yesterday. Last round, only 8 out of around 100 applications received a scholarship. However, I do believe in the old adage 'you have to be in it to win it'. 

Scholarships are awarded based on a point system. What I have realised is that I need to get an article published in a peer-reviewed article (or a book chapter!) to be in with a good chance. My goal is to get at least one article published in the next 12 months. So even if I am not successful this round, I will continue to apply each round until I do obtain that elusive scholarship or I am awarded my PhD! A $26k stipend would help quite a bit! It would also mean I could go full -time instead of part-time.

Have you received a HDR scholarship? What are your tips for gaining that elusive scholarship?

No comments:

Post a Comment